Friday, March 29, 2013

Intxausti sets the bar high













"Yes, I think I can win the race. I'm brave. I set myself big goals. I might seem a bit of a dreamer, but one have to dream in order to reach one's goals".

Those are the philosophical words of Beñat Intxausti three days before the peloton gets the 53rd edition of the Vuelta al País Vasco underway.

As a former runner-up at the event and on his day a force in hilly, medium-length time trials like the ones that every year conclude the Tour of the Basque Country, the 27-year-old will line up as one of the many contenders to Samuel Sánchez's crown of 2012.

Like the Euskaltel captain, Intxausti has mainly centered the first half of 2013 around the Giro d'Italia. Still, though, there's no reason he shouldn't be in contention, according to himself.

"This race should in theory suit me well. The climate, the ambience, the roads... I won't be at 100 percent as I'm focusing on the Giro, but I have no excuses", he told Bilbao-based daily El Correo.

"I've matured as a rider - I have taken care of myself more than ever".

The Movistar rider will take the start in Elgoibar with only ten days of racing in his legs, having only done three days of the Challenge Mallorca in February and the seven stages that made up the Tirreno-Adriatico earlier this month.

"I notice I'm missing a bit of competitive racing, but I know that I'm strong. I haven't suffered any setbacks. Everything has gone to plan", he concluded.

Movistar for Vuelta al País Vasco: Beñat Intxausti, Jonathan Castroviejo, Ángel Madrazo, Juan José Cobo, Javier Moreno, Pablo Lastras, José Herrada and Rui Costa.

1 comment:

Remo said...

I hate him.
He walked away from us when we showed him faith and we trust on him.
He's quality but he's not as good as he thinks of himself.
Gorka, Ion and hopefully Romain are OUR FUTURE.

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers