Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hernández admits to "psychological blow"

Aitor Hernández's no-show at last weekend's cyclo-cross national championships was as surprising as it was damaging, the former road racer told BiciCiclismo yesterday. After four wins and close to a dozen podium appearances so far this season, 14th in Gandía was a major let-down for the Orbea man.


"It was a psychological blow. Right from the off things started to go wrong. I punctured straight after the first lap, and what's more, I didn't notice the entry point to the first pit area. I don't know why, perhaps the area was so crowded, or perhaps I was just too nervous. Anyway, I had to keep riding with that flat for half a lap. Once I swapped my bike for a new one, I was way back. I advanced little by little, but I had to take risks. And the risks led to crashes. So I had virtually lost it all already on such a fast and dangerous course."

To put the disappointment behind him, Hernández reveals he'll be focussing on gaining selection for the Worlds.

"Now I'm only thinking about the end of the season. I'll stay here in the Comunidad Valenciana region for four more days in order to train well".

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers