Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cabedo reveals Giro dream















New signing Victor Cabedo had an outstanding season in the blue of Orbea last year, culminating in a win at the Vuelta a Asturias. While he's not set himself any concrete number of wins he aims to secure in 2012, he's got his eyes set on one of the biggest races out there: the Giro d'Italia.

"I'll start my season at the Mallorca Challenge in February. After that, I'll take on Andalucía, Murcia and Cataluñya. After this block of racing, I'm more than likely to be selected for my first Grand Tour: the Giro", he revealed to el Periódico Mediterráneo yesterday.

The 22-year-old even harbours hope of riding the Tour in July, but admits he's probably too young for that. Instead of focussing on achieving glory himself, he's intent on riding in the service of his more senior captains.

"I'll try to help out as much as I can and strive to adapt to the level of racing. Riding for riders like Samuel Sánchez and Igor Antón will motivate me. In addition, I'll learn a lot from them".

Though he's arguably made a name for himself on the flatter stages and in one-day classics, Cabedo is keen to make his presence felt at the GTs as well. He said as much to Iban Mayo Blog a fair few weeks back, and he considers himself a jack of all trades:

"I'm a perfectionist. I'm good against the clock and in the mountains, and I consider myself to be a solid rouleur."

If he's half as good as he says he is, we're all in for a treat next year.

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers