Monday, December 20, 2010

Velasco a go for 2011 Tour


After a successful 2010 debut Tour, Iván Velasco is a dead-cert for the 2011 edition as well. Speaking to the Diario Vasco yesterday, the likeable climber outlined next year's schedule which will look much the same as this year's. "I will start this season as well in Australia", he said of the Tour Down Under. "The temperatures down there are great, it's very good for training and also a good place to start competing. We'll get there in good shape. This year the level was high. It was a fast race, and it's always a group of riders who arrive at the race with good form. The flip side, though, is the trip. It's very long. After Australia I'll go to Mallorca, Clásica Almería, Tirreno-Adriatico, Vuelta al País Vasco, the classics, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Fleche Wallonne, Amstel Gold Race and the Tour de Romandie. Then I'll take some time off before returning to competition in the Dauphiné and then the Tour." Reflecting on the season that just finished, the Gipuzkoan was rather pleased with what he'd achieved. "I think I haven't done too badly. I've taken another step in the right direction and improved in big races like the Vuelta al País Vasco, the Dauphiné and the Tour. I know that I'm here to help the leaders on the climbs towards the end of the races. I have to stay with them (Samuel Sánchez, Igor Antón, Romain Sicard) in the mountains when I'm able to."

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers