Sunday, May 06, 2007

Antón declerations


After his extraordinary win in Romandie today, Igor Antón talked to www.fundacioneuskadi.com. Here`s what he had to say: "It really was a hard stage. Not only because of the five mountains and the summit finish, but also because of the weather. It rained a lot, it was cold and you couldn`t feel at ease when descending, as the roads were very dangerous in such slippery conditions. I had problems until I ate, and even though I didn`t enjoy this stage, I felt strong at the end. On the last ascent, with only five km to go, I decided to prove it. They (the sports directors) told me that the last three km weren`t very hard, that the gradient would ease of a little, so I jumped some km before that, in a harder part, and four of us got away. I was surprised to win, as I`m not very fast, and I never have been fast either. Therefore I positioned myself well in the last curve, and I got an important win for the team. I want to dedicate this win to Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano, Miguel Madariaga and my team-mates. Igor and Miguel have always had faith in me, and this is how I want to thank them for that trust. It`s very difficult to win, but we did it. Igor has a lot of confidence in me, and I want to thank him for that. There`s not a lot to say about Miguel. He`s always believed in me, I turned pro with his help and he`s always got something nice to say to you. And I want to thank my team-mates for the way they supported me. This wouldn`t have been possible without them, and we`ll all enjoy this win. I want to stress that we`re a unique team regarding our philosophy. We`re all from Euskadi, but we`re showing everyone that we`re a great team, a team that can compete in the Pro Tour and a team that doesn`t have to envy any other teams. I think it`s important that we value this work". Of his season so far he said: "I didn`t have high expectations when coming here. I came to ride well, but to win a stage was not an objective. I got a lot of confidence from my win in the Vuelta a España last year, and I`ve shown it. This year I`ve been taking it more easy than past seasons in the beginning, but I`ve had good sensations in all races I`ve done. I`m in good form rigth now, but I didn`t think of winning here. This makes me optimistic, and gives me another inscentive for continuing the hard training. I`ve already obtained something important in this race, but the only objective I have is to improve even more. I`m not in a hurry, I go from day to day".

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers